This Week’s Scripture Memory: “Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches.”–1 Corinthians 7:17
Next Week’s Sermon: 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 (Andy Petry)
Next Week’s Scripture Memory: “Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.”-1 Corinthians 8:12
Devotional/Reflection: In a culture dominated by sexuality, torn apart by divorce, and confused in so many other ways, biblical teaching on sex, marriage, and singleness is as important now as ever. But within the church, these are topics that are all too often avoided. Why? Is it because we are afraid to promote a biblical worldview that is in opposition to the culture? Is it because we are confused as to what the Bible says on these issues? I suspect sometimes it’s both. Although we more often discuss marriage, we rarely talk about its intended purpose and we ill-prepare many for the challenges they will face in marriage, perhaps contributing to the problem of divorce within the church. Likewise, we don’t prepare young people well for the beautiful gift of sex within marriage, instead giving them misguided notions (or not at all) about the purpose of sex, thus leaving them to ask their friends or the culture (neither a very reliable guide) about sex. Finally, as a church, we have largely failed to articulate what Paul means in 1 Corinthians 7 about the gift of singleness. This is not a minor issue, either. It is time we start having these conversations in the church and preparing the young and old alike to live Christ-like lives in whatever place God has them. I plan to begin writing on these topics soon on our blog, but Jeremy’s sermons are a good start.
- How would you define the life that God has currently assigned to you? Are you content?
- What expectations or dreams have you had about marriage vs. singleness?
- If you are currently single, how can you be faithful to allow God to use you during this time?
- Sermons on 1 Corinthians 7 by Alistair Begg
- Sermons on 1 Corinthians 7 by John Piper
- “The Cross and Christian Marriage, Part 1”–1 Corinthians 7:1-24 (Jim Shaddix)
- “The Cross and Christian Marriage, Part 2”–1 Corinthians 7:1-24 (Jim Shaddix)
- “The Cross and Christian Singleness”–1 Corinthians 7:25-35 (Jim Shaddix)